Re: [objc-improvements] Synced in with mainline yet again...

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [objc-improvements] Synced in with mainline yet again...
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:56:35 +0200

Ziemowit Laski wrote:

The objc-improvements-merge-20030912 tag, to be exact.  Please try out.

While we are waiting on enlightenment on the contents of the branch :-), I've been hacking away on 'Class <Protocol>'. I'll be posting an RFC with a prospective patch, but it seems the front end could use some cleanup that goes a bit further than C90, but more in a separate post once I'm satisfied with some of the edge cases.

But while setting up the tests for the feature I noticed an ICE on invalid code:

---------------------------
#include <objc/objc.h>

@interface MyClass <UndefinedProtocol>
@end

@implementation MyClass
+(Class)class
{
 return self;
}
@end
=>
QuickTest.m:3: error: cannot find protocol declaration for `UndefinedProtocol'
QuickTest.m: In function `+[MyClass class]':

QuickTest.m:8: internal compiler error: tree check: expected tree_list, have error_mark in lookup_method_in_protocol_list, at objc/objc-act.c:587

But from what I've seen, there isn't too much handling of the error_mark tree in objc-act.c. I still have to grok the mechanism because I'd expect a lot more of these on many places.

Please let me know if you want me to open a formal bug report.

Cheers,
David