Purpose of the Contacts.app (Was: Re: Postal address layouts?)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Purpose of the Contacts.app (Was: Re: Postal address layouts?)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:48:44 +0200

Hi all,

I have a simple question: What is the purpose of Contacts.app? Is it a personal
address book or an address database for commercial or other bulk mailing
purposes? What amount of addresses is it supposed to manage, 10s, 100s or 100
000s?

I support Dirk's idea of using single field for whole address. Try to ask
another questions: do I need to know parts of an address? For what? AFAIR, i
have never wanted to search for 'all friends at Sesame street' or 'all business
partners which house number is 10' or 'family members with zip code beginning
with 8'. I think you get the idea. For searching purposes, there is (or will)
still option for searching in the whole 'address' field. Even with 1000 contats
the time cost should be fair.

Rather than complicating application with different address formats and wasting
time on bundles for address formating, there are plenty of other useful
features that can be implemented in address book i think.

What do you think?

Stefan