Re: Anybody seen Cairo (formerly Xr)?

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Anybody seen Cairo (formerly Xr)?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:12:12 +0700

Fred Kiefer wrote:

Could you share this backends with us? The Cairo API is really close to what your GNUstep backends have to implement, still it would be a waste of effort if each GNUstep programmer would undergo this task by herself. So lets share the work and when we have a full working Cairo backend report it back the Cairo group to get a bit of publisity for GNUstep.

Fred

Sure, but actually I just start working on it yesterday. I expected to make it work for testing (only) by this Friday. (Well, all the code is in my head and I just have to write them down, so let's jump into the discussion now if you wish) I'll try to make the code available as soon as possible. But it would be nicer if I can spend time shaping things rather busying doing CVS stuffs for something unstable/unusable. Pls note that even I've started the coding part already but the thruth is I didn't even run the test code of Cairo yet because I am doing this on Darwin and its X11 can't display Cairo. (I compiled Cairo at office on Debian, but now I am at home and just set the DISPLAY didn't make things work. I need another version of X11 on my Darwin, RENDER issue, I guess) However if anyone is interested, you can talk to me in irc. I'm lastlife in #gnustep or #cairo in case that you hate someone at #gnustep
or vice-versa (freenode).

Anyway, I don't think we should expect anything from Cairo any time soon because 1) it is not so stable AFAIK due to its early state of development. 2) ART is cool enough, it is fast and portable and not yet Cairo is portable as in its goal since right now it requires a recent version of RENDER. (You'll have to manually comment out some functions to make it to work without RENDER, ie. direct rendering into frame buffer) But I personally believe that Cairo is the final way to go for X11 (for GPU & hardware acceleration, thus, not now)