Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:41:45 +0300

I'm not sure what you're trying to get prove. In any event, Sun (the OpenStep standard was more a Sun thing, NeXT agreed to go along) created the standard as an open API, where anyone at all among the public would be free to write their own implementation. This was seen as a way to save a great API from disappearing, since it was linked to only NeXT's hardware. There were, IIRC, several groups that released implementations, and I've never heard of any legal trouble with Apple. It's hard for a company to put pressure on people for using what they disseminated for free use.

Christopher Culver