Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian languag

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian language experts...)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:22:47 +0900

Fred Kiefer wrote:

Adam Fedor wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Fred Kiefer
[mailto:fredkiefer@gmx.de]

I was not suggesting to revert back to the old code, but as you
also agreeed to, support different ways at once in our xpbs code. Hopefully code that wont be used in the long run, but would still
be there as a fallback.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. However, just to be clear,
for people using an old X server, the gpbs code is exactly the same
as it was before, only people using new X servers will see a change.

No, I was not refering to an old X server, but to an X application that
would be able to exchange STRING data but not UTF8 data via the pasteboard. What needs to be added to our code for this is the ablility to read and write different data depending on what the other application can process. This is what the specification I was refering to suggest for all applications. To put it into other words, I was suggesting the switch from a compile time setting of the pasteboard type to a run time setting. Does this make my position a bit clearer?

I understand.  Let's think of its feasibility.

My naive idea tells me to use a sort of timeout mechanism: First, ask utf8 datum.
If failed, ask STRING one.

Clearly, this idea is bad. I'm afraid it won't work reliably because copy-and-paste is forced to rely on the duration of timeout, which is irrelevent to the capability of a given client. When an X server is busy or an X terminal is connected with it through network, copy-and-paste is occasionally carried out with STRING datum even if utf8
one is available.

So the feasibility depends on this: Is there a reliable way for gpbs to see whether or not a given X client is capable of utf8? I'm afraid almost all clients won't tell us their capability unless a certain atom is defined on their side (Even if it is actually defined, it is almost impossible for gpbs to know what the atom is, becuase the inter-client
communication conventions don't specify such a predefined atom.)

Or should we do away with the inter-client communication conventions?

- Kazu