Re: using an asian font... puzzling...

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: using an asian font... puzzling...
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:30:45 -0400

From: Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Subject: using an asian font... puzzling...
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:40:52 +0100
[snip]
which I understood to be due to not having the glyphs in an instaled font.
The way I thought it workedfrom the documentation was that it would try all
installed fonts in order until it found one with the approrpiate glyph in
it ? I certainly have a font installed with this glyph, but it is not
displaying...

 As far as I know, it's not true for GNUstep.
 GNUstep won't search all the fonts to display the missing glyph.
 It only use the assigned font to display the glyph.
 If your assigned font doesn't contain the glyph, you are out of luck.
 That's why I always suggest to implement the fall-back font,
 or make [NSFont preferredFontNames] work.
 Actually it is not hard in backend-xlib, because it use fontset already.
 Not sure about backart.

I assume I could set CODE2000 tobe my default font, but I do not want to
do this as I only need it for certain characters. surely it should just
work "as-is" ?

 Most CJK fonts also contain latin letters.
If you set them as your default font, you can still use your native language,
 though the font maybe not so good.

 Yen-Ju

-bat.