Re: reforming gpbs

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: reforming gpbs
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:26:12 +0200

Aredridel wrote:
[snip]
> One thing that, I think, would make selections more useful is actually
> using SECONDARY:
>
> If the destination of the paste-from-selection (middle-mouse) event is
> within the boundary of the PRIMARY selection, then replace the selection
> with the contents of SECONDARY if it exists.  If your app loses PRIMARY,
> put that into SECONDARY instead.

Note that gpbs, when compiled for a backend that uses -x11 for the
server, tries to map the OPENSTEP pasteboard system to the X system. The
actual OPENSTEP pasteboard system is different, and has no concept of
PRIMARY or SECONDARY.

The "current selection"/middle-click thing in -gui is just a hack, and
it interacts poorly with several other things in -gui. I'm very
sceptical of keeping it at all.

- Alexander Malmberg