Re: One for our asian language experts...

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: One for our asian language experts...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:15:54 +0900

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
[snip]

However, IIRC the pasteboard system basically just sets some atoms to
say what type of data you have, and converts between our internal
unicode representation and the (basically ascii) text format that was
the
only example of X cut and paste I could find. I don't expect it would
need
a major rewrite to extend that to whatever mechanism X has for
internationalised
text cut and paste

I don't think a major rewrite is needed, just support for new data
types. From what I've seen (which, when it comes to X, is as little as
possible), UTF8_STRING looks like the easiest way:

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/UTF8_STRING/

although there seems to be an older and more complex COMPOUND_TEXT that
could be used as well.

Thank you all for valuable comments.  It seems it can be done relatively
easily.  I've just collected some documents that could be referred to for
the modification.  Let me tinker at the code for a few days if you don't
mind.

- Kazu