Re: Proposal: ObjectiveC parser framework

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Proposal: ObjectiveC parser framework
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:43:34 -0700

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:25:51 +0200
Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:
> Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> > First, excuse me for a little flood today.
> > What do you think about extracting objective-c parsing code from
> > autogsdoc into a separate framework?
> afaict, autogsdoc is highly specific to extracting only the
> information that it needs. I doubt that it'd be worthwhile to try to
> extend it much.
[...]

autogsdoc doesn't parse the source to extract information for creating
documentation/HTML pages. Well, it does, but not the same way a 'real'
source code parser (eg. cpp or gcc) does.

In a nutshell, it checks header (.H) files for class (@interface,
including categories) and method names (including arguments) then
searches the source file whether the referenced method exists.
There are certain tags you can use in comments, eg. <init /> to specify
whether the method is the 'default' initialization method (for example
-initWithName: instead of a simple -init) but it does not parse the
source checking for errors.
For autogsdoc, that would be overkill.

--
Chris