Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX due to use of -traditional-cpp

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX due to use of -traditional-cpp
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:09:30 +0200

On 15.07.2003 15:16:53 Enrico Sersale wrote:
>Besides this problem, can somebody suggest me how to build base on osx?

Do you mean GNUstep-base or base-extensions (looks like the latter judging
by the compiler output)?

In case you are trying to build GNUstep-base instead: It (building) worked
for me about a year ago. Maybe some bug has sneaked in meanwhile. Be sure
to build it using the GNU runtime (It builded for the Apple runtime too
but did not work due to the class and method caching Apple's runtime
employs). For that purpose you'll have to build a FSF version of gcc since
Apple's version lacks the GNU runtime.

>With both the apple complier and gcc-3.3 I'm getting:
>
>/usr/bin/gcc GSCompatibility.m -c \
>      -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/GNUstep/System
>-DGNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/Local
>-DGNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/Network -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_DIR=\".\"
>-DGNUSTEP_TARGET_CPU=\"powerpc\" -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_OS=\"darwin6\"
>-DLIBRARY_COMBO=\"apple-apple-apple\" -Wall -Wcast-align
>-DNeXT_Foundation_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_GUI_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_RUNTIME=1
-framework
>Foundation -framework AppKit -traditional-cpp -dynamic -fno-common
-DGSWARN
>-DGSDIAGNOSE -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fnext-runtime -I../Headers/gnustep

>-I../Headers -I./. -I. \
>       -o shared_obj/GSCompatibility.o

The error sits here:

>In file included from GSCompatibility.m:28:
>GSPrivate.h:30: syntax error before "NSString"
>GSPrivate.h:36: syntax error before "BOOL"

the rest are just warnings and can be ignored IMHO:

>GSCompatibility.m: In function `PString':
>GSCompatibility.m:241: warning: implicit declaration of function
`RELEASE'
>GSCompatibility.m: In function `OAppend':
>GSCompatibility.m:765: warning: implicit declaration of function
`GSObjCClass'
>GSCompatibility.m:765: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
>GSCompatibility.m:772: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a
>cast
>GSCompatibility.m:811: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a
>cast
>GSCompatibility.m:852: warning: implicit declaration of function
`NSWarnFLog'
>GSCompatibility.m:898: warning: implicit declaration of function
`NSDebugLog'
>GSCompatibility.m: In function `GSPropertyListMake':
>GSCompatibility.m:932: warning: implicit declaration of function `RETAIN'
>GSCompatibility.m:932: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a
>cast
>GSCompatibility.m:955: warning: implicit declaration of function
`AUTORELEASE'
>GSCompatibility.m:955: warning: cannot find class (factory) method
>GSCompatibility.m:955: warning: return type for `new' defaults to id
>GSCompatibility.m:955: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a
>cast
>GSCompatibility.m:957: warning: cannot find class (factory) method
>GSCompatibility.m:957: warning: return type for `class' defaults to id
>GSCompatibility.m:957: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
>make[2]: *** [shared_obj/GSCompatibility.o] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [libgnustep-base.all.library.variables] Error 2
>make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

greetings, Lars