Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX due to use of -traditional-cpp

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX due to use of -traditional-cpp
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:52:15 +0200

On 14.07.2003 19:28:56 Pete French wrote:
>The subject says it all really... doing a build I get:
>
>bash-2.05a$ make messages="yes"
>Making all for app Rattatosk...
>gcc Rattatosk_main.m -c \
>      -MMD -MP -DNeXT_Foundation_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_GUI_LIBRARY=1
>-DNeXT_RUNTIME=1 -framework Foundation -framework AppKit -traditional-cpp

>-dynamic -fno-common -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
>-fnext-runtime -framework Renaissance -I. \
>       -o shared_obj/Rattatosk_main.o
>gcc: GNU Objective C no longer supports traditional compilation
>make[1]: *** [shared_obj/Rattatosk_main.o] Error 1
>make: *** [Rattatosk.all.app.variables] Error 2
>
>This is with todays CVS. The machine is running 10.2.6 (which is
>the Panther pre-release isnt it ?) so it might have a newev version of
the
>compilers on it too...

It is still Jaguar but this doesn't matter that much here. What matters is
the gcc version you use (that means what version of the developer tools
are installed, I asume you have the lastest version using gcc 3.3
installed). If I remember this correctly somewhere on the way from (apple)
gcc 3.1 to (apple) gcc 3.3 the -traditional-cpp flag was removed. Since it
is possible to install diffferent versions of the developer tools at a
given Mac OS X / Darwin, a check for the compiler version is what is
needed here.

>How did the 'traditional' get in there and how can it be taken out ?

I think it has something to do with the configure process you run when
installing GNUstep (make). If Darwin is detected this flag is used. I
think it was needed with older versions of Apple's gcc.

>-bat.

greetings, Lars