Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:33:50 +0200

Am Montag, 07.07.03 um 14:19 Uhr schrieb David Ayers:

So here are two variants based on everyones feedback. The first keeps the currently correct installed headers in the same place, the second would ease OS X / ProjectBuilder users to extract the subprojects into custom frameworks.

--enable-multi-openstep
- default on OpenStep systems (NeXT/OPENSTEP/OS X)

Variant 1:
Headers/gnustep/Foundation/NS*.h
Headers/gnustep/base/GS*.h
Headers/gnustep/AppKit/NS*.h
Headers/gnustep/gui/GS*.h
& -Ixxx/gnustep (only for *-gnu-gnu)

Well, obviously the gnustep/ directory is obsolete here since it's the same for all headers. You could remove it as well and get something very similar to:

--disable-multi-openstep
- default on all non-OpenStep systems.

Variant 2:
Headers/Foundation/NS*.h
Headers/GNUstepBase/GS*.h
Headers/AppKit/NS*.h
Headers/GNUstepGUI/GS*.h

So, I'm wondering why you want --xxx-multi-openstep. Perhaps you should rename it to --use-old-header-directories?

Adam Fedor wrote on July 2:

The problem with this is, again on  apple-apple-apple, where if you
have the header structure:

Headers/Foundation
Headers/GNUstepBase

and you have the includes "-I../Headers", then the compiler finds our
foundation headers before the Apple Foundation headers.

Thought, a "-framework Foundation -I../Headers" should help here.

When testing this (on current ProjectBuilder, without installing GNUstep) I found only in case of #include "Foundation/NSObject.h" the GNUstep Header whould be found. When using #include <>, Apple's Foundation header (or none) is preferred.

As a note, the test code includes (definitive Apple's) Foundation/Foundation.h first, to enable precompiled headers.

Just to see what the impact would be, ...

As it's just a matter of editing some text, I whouldn't mind to much about transition. Just, do it right this time :-)

PS: and thanks for bearing with me :-)

Seems, there are 1001 cases to consider. What if you whould set up a example header structure(s) with #warnings inside the files and reach it around so everybody can test and feedback the output it before it goes into CVS?

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/