Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:30:08 +0200

Hi Richard,

I like the idea of implementing the thumbnailer as a filter service. Great, that you did find the time to implement this feature into GNUstep!

I've changed my mind ... someone pointed out that -iconForFile
is supposed to return an icon representing the type of file,
eg. the icon should be the same for all jpegs, and the same for all
gifs, so you can immediately see what kind of file it represents,
rather than the contents.

So I now think that -iconForFile should not return a thumbnail,
and applications wanting to use thumbnails should just use
a line of code like -

thumbnail = [[NSPasteboard pasteboardByFilteringFile: @"filename.xxx"]
  dataForType: @"Thumbnail:128x128"];

But you might be wrongly informed here. There are different methods iconForType: which should just do what you describe and iconForFile: which may do whatever it wants, but should fallback to iconForType: if it doesn't have any better icon. Looking at it that way, returning a thumbnail looks like a valid way to go (of course only when an option to do so is set)