Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:02:04 +0300

On 2003-06-27 00:55:49 +0300 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

On 2003-06-26 21:43:56 +0000 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

Fred seems to work on it, and personally I think it's better to put it in
NSWorkspace,
so every application will benefit. The code itself shouldn't be
computer-intensive,
so I don't think it will hurt the performance (but, a cache for icons could be
good
in GWorkspace ?)

I was only toying around with this a bit, as it did look a lot more interesting
than getting the rest of the GCC 3.3 warnings out of GUI.

ok :-))

If Enrico already has an implementation this surely is better than what I have
got.

The "thumbnailer" application confuses me a bit. Who would be starting this? I
could see GWorkspace doing this but it is hard to see NSWorksapce in that role.

It is not an application, it is a service. So, if it is not running, it will start when
you choose "Make thumbnail(s)" from the Services menu.

It simply creates an image from a file:
-initWithContentsOfFile:
gets an NSImageRep from it:
-bestRepresentationForDevice:
gets the bitmap data:
-getBitmapDataPlanes:
resample this data with an algorithm taken from ToyViewer and simplified.
creates a new NSBitmapImageRep from the resampled data:
-initWithBitmapDataPlanes: etc. etc. etc.
write the thumbnail:
[[rep TIFFRepresentation] writeToFile: outpath atomically: YES];

Now we have only to decide *where* the thumbnails must be saved, their size,
etc. and who must make icons from them, NSWorkspace or GW.

Obviously, the same code can be adapded for a tool that, launched by
GWorkspace, automatically creates thumbnails in the current directory.

hm well... in my idea, NSWorkspace's role would be only to check if a thumbnail
exists when requested by iconForFile ; if there is a thumbnail, then it reads
it and
returns it instead of the default icon. If no thumbnail, it returns the default
icon.
It shouldn't be the NSWorkspace's role to *create* the thumbnail, I think it's
way
out the its role. So we need a way to create them, and a service could fit, it
could
also be an automatic action in GWorkspace, or a dedicated menu item in
GWorkspace
(as this service to create thumbnails of the selected files or the current
directory seems *very* related to GWorkspace, I don't see much other
applications using it) ...