Re: text question

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: text question
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:37:15 +0100

> You can't. GSHorizontalTypesetter does have an internal notion of a
> baseline for each line, but that information is lost before it gets to
> the layout manager.

Hmmm, as its a GS object would it be possible to add a method to obtain the
information ? As it stands there doesnt seem to be a way to fix the bug
properly.

> A good approximation would be to get the starting location of the first
> run of nominally spaced glyphs

Now theres interesting... I'd have to ignore the horizontal offset
I preseme ? Whete does something like a capital 'V' start ?

> work if the text has baseline adjustment attributes, or if the text is
> spread over several lines.

Is it possible to have an NSAttributedString which is spread over several
lines ? Drawing a simple string into a view should just draw left to right
until its clipped at the edge I thought ?

Do you think I am possibly barking up the wrong tree by trying to fix the bug
in this way ? Would it be better to fix drawGlyphsForGlyphRange:atPoint: ?
I havent yet found any bit of code I can point at and say "this is where it
is going wrong" after all - I'm just trying to fiddle it by applying an
offset.

-bat. [I think I might be out of my depth here and in need of help, sorry]