Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:19:52 +0100

On 2003-06-21 12:16:52 +0100 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
According to you, if contextual menus are so hard to reach, they won't annoy users, as they won't even notice them... "encouragement of user castes" ? well I really don't see why you are against
a multi-level approach to the gui.

Developers will generally be using the "power user" interface methods because they think them cool, so will not pay proper attention to the "normal user" interface methods and not notice when it is totally broken. This is a related point about why multiple interface routes for a task is bad, not just context menus.

In fact, that's already the case, for example
with keyboard accelerators.

Keyboard menu access is just an alternative way of accessing the same route. Some context menu apologists seem to claim that there should be special expert magic options that only appear on context menus.

People arguing that the optimal method for a novice user is not the same as the optimal method for an expert user are wishing for a return to the days when obscure function key combinations ruled the world. Yes, the experienced user can remember even the most horrible user interface eventually. It doesn't make it a good user interface.

[end of message chopped as it seemed to ask for the above points to be made again]

     http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
      Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."