Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:42:59 +0200

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
> Philippe C.D Robert <philippe.robert@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 01:10 AM, MJ Ray wrote:
> >> The inspector panel is probably already open for the sort of user who
> >> would want the services list and your mind can start the move to a
> >> visible panel faster than it can a move to an invisible menu item.
> > You don't move to a contextual menu, you just enable it. Otherwise you
> > can use what exists already, the services submenu. You can even detach
> > it to remain visible all the time, so I don't see the point for
> > introducing a special inspector for that.
>
> I didn't write anything about moving *to* a contextual menu. Would you
> like to reply to what I did write? Why do you think it is faster to
> start the move to something invisible than something visible?

I read from your posting above:

    "...and your mind can start the move to a visible panel faster than it
     can a move to an invisible menu item."

So you actually did write about moving to a contextual menu, you just call
it "invisible menu item". If this is something different then please
explain what you mean by that.

Anyway, my point is that you don't move at all to a contextual menu, since
it shows up where your mouse pointer is.

> Yes, menus can be detached anyway, so why is there all this talk about
> special contextual menus? They add nothing but interface confusion.
> GNUstep does not need that.

Because a contextual menu contains menu entries which are diffierent to the
global main menu, they are specific to the selected object. Thus the word
"contextual"...

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert     |  VNET# 559-1565
Core Rendering           |  Office: +41 (0)32 732 15 65