Re: of applications for gnustep...

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:30 -0500

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:54:22AM -0700, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> You do NOT mix two DIFFERENT languages in ONE source file.

Obviously there are cases in which you can. For example, Obj-C++; but also
note inline assembly language. I have also heard of packages which allow you
to embed snippets of Perl, Python, etc. in C code. And for the web (although
HTML isn't really a *programming* language) there is embedded PHP,
JavaScript, and other such things.

So perhaps you don't agree with the practice of mixing languages in one
source file, but it does happen nonetheless.

> C++ and
> Objective-C may have a common 'foundation', C, and are therefor
> _related_ -- yet they are DIFFERENT.
>
> Ever thought of mixing Pascal and Modula-3 in one source file?
> Probably not. Why not? They too are related?!

I don't see why relatedness matters. C and assembly are only related insofar
as C generally is translated into assembly. I don't know Pascal or Modula-3,
but I can easily see that in some projects the developer might find it
convenient to use more than one language, since different languages have
different strengths. And if you can mix them in one project, I don't see any
reason why they shouldn't be mixed in one translation unit, as long as it
doesn't generate unresolvable problems with syntax, scope, etc.

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t