GWorskpace (un)usability

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: GWorskpace (un)usability
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:22:51 +0200

Hi,

I would like to use GWorkspace as my default file manager, however...

First thing is that annoying me most is the several seconds delay on gworkspace
launch caused by waiting for Backgrounder to be launched. BGackgrounder is
causing another not-very-nce behaviour and that is that file operation window
belongs to the backgrounder application, so when i click on it, gworkspece menu
hides together with gw panels. Moreover, there is that spacetaking icon of
backgrounder application.

To solve this problem i would suggest to remove any required
all-the-time-running background task and use tools instead. I was looking on my
copy of NeXTSTEP and i've seen that there were tools for doing various tasks
like copying/moving, size measuring, compression, searching... Launching one
task per operation seems to me to be better idea. Tasks can run in parallel and
thus we can gain speed when working with different devices.

2. Other thing is a bug: when i open new folder, nothing happens and i see the
contents of parent folder.

3. I cannot use Browser view, i am getting:
Error
(objc-load):/usr/GNUstep/System/Applications/GWorkspace.app/Resources/BrowserViewer.viewer/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/BrowserViewer:
 undefined symbol: __objc_class_name_BrowserViewerPref

4. Print... menu item is confusing. I would expect it to print selected file
with appropriate application, not currently focused view.

6. What do you think about renaming GWorkspace to use something withoutprefix?
if Workspace.app is taken by NEXT/Apple, there are still many possibilities
that can reflect what this application is doing: Workplace.app, Desktop.app,
Browser.app (from file/object browser), ...

Workspace should be The Entrance to the GNUstep Environment. (G)Workspace
should provide good user experience. I do not think that scaring away users
right at the front gate is good for gnustep.

I just would like to use gnustep environment.

Best regards,

Stefan
--
http://urbanek.host.sk

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi