Re: New method to load user bundles

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: New method to load user bundles
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:41:44 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Secondly, we might want to provide facility to keep track of changes to bundles (eg store the bundle location and an md5 digest of it in the defaults system) and provide a callback facility (with a standard panel built into the gui) to alert the user about changes to bundles that are about to be loaded, and let them accept/refuse the load.

Hello Richard,

Eventhough I tend toward "this is not a GNUstep issue but a general security issue", I have no real objections in adding such security features (except that they may give a false sense of security and could be hard to maintain). I am a bit concerned though, if this information is stored in the defaults system.

First, it is user specific, which means each user must somehow securely set the initial values. Second, the defaults system can be easily manipulated with scripts. Third the user generally has every right (and sometimes the need) to delete all of his defaults.

I think, if we have any authentification mechanism at all, it should be based on something "root owned" with possibly some API for a user to request authentification for a given bundle/library/framework/... for a particular user. And this API should be password protected (using the user account).

If we do this, would we also provide some "callback" mechanism for tools? If so, how would the callback for services like gsweb apps, gdomap (or the potential authentification service itself look like?) If we don't, would we actively protect tools at all? If so, I guess they would simply just not load any non-authenticated code.

I must admit, that I have the impression, that this is more trouble than it's worth. And I'm not convinced it is a "must have". But feel free to prove me wrong with the "unbreakable free easy-to-maintain security mechanism" :-)

Cheers,
David

PS: Maybe the simple approach to address the issue at hand, is to add a configure/make option to simply (hard-codedly) limit the places that bundles are loaded from. This doesn't add any real security but it satisfies the original request (How can I turn this feature off) and seems simple to maintain.