UTF-8 and GNUstep

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: UTF-8 and GNUstep
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 05:02:08 +0300

I'm very interested in i18n and generally develop (im-classgreek.
sourceforge.net, for example) and seek out software which supports Unicode and mixing of scripts. With apps programed in GTK2 for example, text entry and display is UTF-8, so users can view and type non-ASCII characters with ease. GNUstep, however, has me a bit stumped, because I don't know how to enable UTF-8 display and input.

Opening a UTF-8 text file with, for example, Ink.app shows the ASCII portion just fine but all UTF-8 characters are ASCII garbage. Similarly, if I attempt to type foreign scripts into a text field in a GS application, it shows as ASCII-garbage.

I've heard that this may be a backend problem (I'm using the art backend) and not a universal GNUstep problem. But I really hope a fix is on the way. My current project is a character map for GNUstep (though I haven't gotten to the point where I've designed the actual display, just the internals), and I would really hate to see such a utility useful only for people who compiled GNUstep with a certain backend.

So, please let this GS newbie know how Unicode or UTF-8 display functions, and what doesn't work and why.

Christopher Culver