Re: Question about gorm and Multi language support in Gnustep

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Question about gorm and Multi language support in Gnustep
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:21:45 -0700

On Fri, 30 May 2003 02:01:47 +0100 (BST)
Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> Ok ... yes, but it's not a particularly satisfactory solution - you're
> not resizing the textfield to fit the new string.
> If the translated string is longer than the original one, it won't fit
> in the original textfield space and be clipped (that is, part of it
> disappears).  Button text being clipped is not exactly user friendly.
> :-)

Yes, very true. However, a) that is the only problem with my approach
and b) you can see the results very quickly (just change the language
setting and start the application) and can fix it just as quickly, by
simply editing the Localizable.strings file, instead of starting up
Gorm and mucking around the UI...
But, yes, that is a problem, as you may have to appreviate the text.

> I suppose you can work around that by making the original button a lot
> bigger than it needs to be to display the English text (say, 3 or 4
> times the required size) - hoping that it's enough big to hold all
> translations.  That would make the interface quite dumb/ugly, and an
> autosized interface would look much better.

Indeed -- it would look like a Gnome application *ducks*

--
Chris