Re: RE : Horizontal menus.

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: Re: RE : Horizontal menus.
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:45:56 -0700

Ahh, the infamous menu topic.

The one thing I don't like about the NeXT style menu is that it harder to "hit" the menu items with the cursor.  Remember that we are trying to slam the curson to the edge of the screen to grab menus fast.  Yet, because text is (generally) horizontal, the menu items themselves present a small, hart to hit target.

We all know that Horiz Top of the screen menus are good because they are very easy to hit with the mouse since they contain an infinite amount of vertical space.  Plus, text is hozizontal, which means we have this nice wide area for each submenu to hit.

I think we can agree that, in light of these reasonings, horiz menus are better.  BUT! you say, in the vertical NeXT  menu style the menu is actually at the closest point, even easier to hit than a horiz menu!  Of course we are talking about the right click menu.  Yes, it is a nice thing, but there is no reason it cant be available in the horiz menu style as well!

What I hate about the OS X version of the horiz menu is that the extreme left and right edges of the menu bar are "dead" space, there is nothing to click there!  There is the Apple menu there on the left side, but you actually have to move the mouse in 20 pixels or so to hit it.  Why the hell Apple would do that  is beyond me but let's please not replicate it.

Chadio,

World famous slacker

Dennis Leeuw wrote: