Gnustep Applications blocking Adobe Applications on Windows...

From: Roland Schwingel
Subject: Gnustep Applications blocking Adobe Applications on Windows...
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:27:07 +0200

Hi...

Since ever we are having the problem that when one of our apps in running Adobe Photoshop is no starting. It just blocks. (Also other Adobe Programs are affected, but with Photoshop it is most perfect reproducable) When our application exits Photoshop will continue with its startup. We did put it a long time on java (which was known to have this issue) but it is resolved for a while now. So we started out to find the bug again and well we found that gnustep
is the problem now. Unfortunately....

We wrote a tiny do-nothing-program. Really simple. Just allocate a NSString and then sleep... No Java nothing else.
When this program is run on windows Photoshop blocks on startup....

After long searching we isolated the problem. It is in libgnustep-base-entry.m function DLLMain().

   // Create a window which will recieve the socket handling events
   gnustep_base_wnd = CreateWindow("GNUstepBaseSocketHandler",
                   "", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,
                   CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,
                   CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,
                   NULL, NULL, hInst, NULL);

A native windows window is created here. When this window is omited everything is fine. Adobes applications can now start/stop whenever the want to. The direct circumstances are at present still a bit unclear.

So a general question Is this window really needed anymore? Isn't it the case that windows needed a window for socketoperations on Win 3.11 but now is no longer needed.. Can it be removed savely?

Thanks,

Roland