Re: RE : Horizontal menus.

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: RE : Horizontal menus.
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:20:45 +0200

On 2003-05-27 09:00:06 +0200 Björn Giesler <giesler@ira.uka.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 05:19, Jason Clouse wrote:
>> My impression is that people are very attached to their choice of menu
>> style.  NeXT fans probably won't ever want to dock their menu upstairs. And
>> those who slant toward the Apple way of doing things wouldn't want
>> to have to go to the trouble of docking their menus.
>
> I agree. I think this is something which should probably go into
> Preferences.app, since it's a decision that will probably be made once and
> stay that way forever; personally, I wouldn't want to change menu styles on a
> per-app basis.
>
> That being said, here's my €.02: Although I'm a fan of Apple's menu bar,
> what's really nice is NeXT's right-click menu, where you get the entire menu
> (vertical style) with a right click on any app window. It's fast, and you get
> it without moving the mouse at all. Would it be possible to have the menu bar
> and keep the right-click menu?

Yes, if we agree on common menu structure. If we want to have both, horizontal
an vertical menus, there should be only one structure of the menu and that
means dropping of original NeXT style. New strcture should rather follow
horizontal menu structure, that means:
1. allowing only submenu entries in the root menu
2. inclusion of application menu (with quit and hide)
3. having Preferences, Help, ... in the application menu or some other place
than appmenu->info (open to discussion)
4. ... other things i do not remember now

If we agree on some common menu structure for horizonal and vertical menu, then
this war is over. There will be no need for designing two menu interfaces and
both caps can be happy of using their style of menu.

I do like next interface, however I am against sticking with it forewer. I
think that it is only a matter of compromise and will (to change).

Stefan Urbanek