How does the GNU runtime encode method signatures?

From: Ziemowit Laski
Subject: How does the GNU runtime encode method signatures?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:39:23 -0700

I've recently cleaned up the NeXT method signature encoding (by the compiler)
quite a bit in Apple's tree, to a point where it is no longer necessary
to do the awkward handshake with the back-end via hack_method_prototype() in order to determine the offsets and sizes of parameters. I've also been told (by Apple's ObjC runtime maintainers) is that the method encodings generated by the compiler have, historically speaking, been so profoundly broken that
the runtime ignored them and computed its own. :-)

So, what's the situation like on the GNU side of things? Does the GNU runtime still rely on what the compiler generates? Does the GNU method encoding have a spec? :-) I'm asking because I'd like to yank out hack_method_prototype() and generally simplify the encoding machinery in objc-act.c, but am not sure
if it is safe to do so.

Thanks. (And yes, I'd definitely like to put Apple's ObjC fixes, including
method encodings, into the FSF. :-) )

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                 1 Infinite Loop, MS 301-2K
Mac OS X Compiler Group        Cupertino, CA USA  95014-2083
Apple Computer, Inc.           +1.408.974.6229  Fax .5477