Re: Testing GNUMail under Linux/Gentoo

From: Catherine Luedecker
Subject: Re: Testing GNUMail under Linux/Gentoo
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 15:31:46 -0700

What versions of gnustep-base,make, and back are you using. Were these compiled with emerge or did you do the installs by hand?

On 2003-05-08 15:27:29 -0500 Catherine Luedecker <luedchic@attbi.com> wrote:

Well, my installs worked okay after getting changing a couple of emerge commands
[snip]

I just tested the emerge packages with Pantomime and GNUMail, both  1.1.0pre2
and it works, no tricks or special instructions needed.

I did (starting from a system with no GNUstep):

  emerge dev-util/gnustep-make
  emerge dev-util/gnustep-base
  emerge dev-util/gnustep-back     (this one installed gnustep-gui)
  emerge dev-util/gnustep-guile     (this one failed, but it's not necessary)
  emerge x11-wm/gnustep-env      (don't ask, I don't know what's in it or
what's it for)
  . /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
  tar xzvf Pantomime-1.1.0pre2.tar.gz
  cd Pantomime
  make install                              (there's in an error message in the
build, but it succeeds anyway, the error is that GSCategories.h is not found,
and it really is not there)
  cd ..
  tar xzvf GNUMail-1.1.0pre2.tar.gz
  cd GNUMail
  make install
  /usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications/GNUMail.app/GNUMail

and it runs.  I'll use it a little further and report any problems I find, but
it seems to be OK (this time I'm running it under KDE, I usually do it under
WindowMaker.)