Does Xft2 in Red Hat 8.0 work with GNUstep-back?

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Does Xft2 in Red Hat 8.0 work with GNUstep-back?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:29:39 GMT

I'm reporting the following just in case there's a genuine problem here
- I don't speak C and don't really understand the build process, so it
may well be a case of 'user error'.

When I originally built GNUstep stable under Red Hat 8.0, 'configure'
for gnustep-back-0.8.0 didn't auto-detect Xft.

Not a big issue for me - presumably it's the reason why fonts in
GWorkspace don't come out anti-aliased, which doesn't matter a lot - but
thought I'd try to fix it.

In the gnustep-back source tree, did './configure' with option:

    --with-include-flags="-I/usr/include/Xft2 -I/usr/include/freetype2"

which successfully got through the configure and auto-detected Xft.

However the make failed:

In file included from XGContext.m:47:
../../Headers/xlib/XftFontInfo.h:38: `XftFontInfo' redeclared as
different kind of symbol
/usr/include/Xft2/X11/Xft/Xft.h:54: previous declaration of `XftFontInfo'
XGContext.m: In function `+[XGContext initializeBackend]':
XGContext.m:81: parse error before "XftFontInfo"

Is this because:

  - Red Hat have messed up their implementation of Xft2? or

  - the GNUstep I'm building isn't compatible with Xft2? or

  - I've done something wrong?

--

    Richard Stonehouse