Re: case-insensitive file extensions

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: case-insensitive file extensions
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:19:25 +0200

On 18.04.2003 00:56:40 Adam Fedor wrote:
>On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 08:05 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
>> i just want to remind you that ISO 9660 CD-ROMs have an 8.3 naming
>> scheme
>> with all Letters uppercase. So if you burn a file.zip on an ISO 9660
>> CD-R
>> this file will change into FILE.ZIP. Please also remember that, if you
>> cowork with Windows users (this situation is very common in business)
>> you'll often get files with mangled filenames (Windows is not case
>> sensitive, but seems even not to be case preserving in some cases).
>>

>I discovered this interesting tidbit almost by accident about the same
>time as I was reading this thread. This is from typing commands in
>MacOSX 10.2.5 Terminal.app:
>
>Eldorado ~>ls TEST
>ls: TEST: No such file or directory
>Eldorado ~>mkdir test
>Eldorado ~>mkdir TEST
>mkdir: TEST: File exists
>Eldorado ~>ls TEST
>Eldorado ~>touch insensitive.zip
>Eldorado ~>ls -l insensitive.ZiP
>-rw-rw-r--  1 fedor  unknown  0 Apr 17 16:53 insensitive.ZiP
>Eldorado ~>

This happens if you use the HFS+ file system on Mac OS X: HFS+ is case
insensitive but case preserving. There have been lengthy discussions about
this "feature" on several darwin mailing lists. It is there mainly because
for your grandma "FILE" and "File" are the same ;-). If case sensitify is
needed (for instance for building some free software projects like
Xfree86) it is recomended to use a UFS formated disk or if this isn't
available an UFS formated and mounted disk image (can be created using
"Disk Copy").