Re: project goal Re: Release schedule

From: Tobias
Subject: Re: project goal Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:55:21 +0200

> Just a crazy thought--would anyone be interested in writing a backend for
> Fresco (http://www.fresco.org/)?
this is a cutting idea. i like vector graphics based environments, be it
display postscript, or display pdf.
or be it fresco.
but as far as i remember, fresco was also about unifying ui.
i think i once read, that you could write an application, with absolute
positioning of widgets (extreme a) or without even specifying, that something
is a border (extreme b). i think gnustep would clearly be a).
this is not neccessarily bad, but i dont think this would attract that many
fresco developer (there are no user, i guess).

> Fresco seems to be in desperate need of a
> desktop environment/user applications--KDE and GNOME seem to be absent
> there--and GNUstep already has some fine user applications (GNUMail, GORM,
> Workspace, Terminal) that would be beneficial to giving Fresco a leg up.
> Furthermore, it seems to be a wide open opportunity to capture a new
> "market" if you'll pardon the borrowed phrase.
if/when we get adopted on this platform, this would be a real boost to
gnustep.
just to have the same apps, with the same ui on X and fresco.

> Fresco is a new frontier that no one seems to be taking advantage of.
> Seems like getting in before anyone else would establish GNUstep as the
> premier desktop environment for Fresco.  Might even give a few people
> reason to try it out.  And I'm sure the Fresco developers would be grateful
> for the interest and might be willing to help out some in return.
im really looking forward to that.

btw: for fresco we would need a nice corba frontend. do we have one?

~ibotty