Re: Obj-C cross platform compilation

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Obj-C cross platform compilation
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:04:59 -0700

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:50:59 +0200
"Philippe C.D. Robert" <probert@sgi.com> wrote:
[...]
> > - do I really need to subclass NSObject (makes life a lot simpler I
> > imagine with custom allocation/deallocation) for my own objects?
> You don't (if you do not want to use GNUstep) but it makes life much
> easier :-)

I think those two questions are related ...

> > - does it require an extra library/run-time environment? (on
> > Linux/Windows where it is not installed by default)
> You have to install GNUstep, of course. For Windows there is an
> experimental installer available since recently (see
> http://www.gnustep.org/newindex.html
> or the recent emails about this topic).

Using Foundation (Apple's and GNUstep's) would indeed make life easier,
but if you don't want the "overhead" you might want to take a look at

        http://petite.sourceforge.net/

There is another independent ObjC class collection, unfortunately I
can't remember the name, but you might find a reference on either
Freshmeat or Sourceforge. I don't think anyone on this list has tried
either one, so you'll have to take a look and decide for yourself
whether they'll be of use to you, especially since you didn't give any
details on what you are working on.

--
Chris