Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:35:40 +0200

David Ayers wrote:
[snip]
> >  These objections is mostly "I wish to" and "I'd prefer to".
> >
> Does this mean they should be ignored?

Ignored? No. Accepted and followed without thought? No. If you're going
to start adding menu types in addition to the standard case, where are
you going to stop, and why? (Or do you want to add every single menu
type as soon as someone wants them? Even now, are the horizontal menus
being discussed mosx-style or windows-style?)

[snip]
> What kind of proof did you expect?  I think that a integration with the
> native desktop envirmenmt is important. Maybe it shouldn't be first
> proiority, and maybe not in the -gui library itself (I just don't know
> which approach is best).

However, this is not one of GNUstep's goals at all, and it does not fit
into the current design of -gui and -back.

> But I do think horizontal menues should be
> part of GNUstep.

I disagree (well, I don't think it should be part of -gui; GNUstep as a
whole is a different matter, and if there's actually sufficient interest
in real integration with a native environment, perhaps a -gui-win32 or
something is in order). I think -gui should provide one (and only one)
standard, good, and consistent interface style, which means one (and
only one) menu style.

[snip]

- Alexander Malmberg