Re: Legal issue with classes within Cocoa but not in OPENSTEP ?

From: Jak
Subject: Re: Legal issue with classes within Cocoa but not in OPENSTEP ?
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 00:28:22 +0200

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
Gregory Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Yes, patents are one defense which can be used.   That's why people should do
> all they can to protest patents on software.

Software patents are an evil things, but I think that Free Software could easily
circumvent it thanks to its world-wide spread : Software patents are not valid
everywhere in the world, so if the project is hosted in a place where there is
no
software patent, it could not be sued. Only people from countries allowing
software patent who download the softwaer could eventually be sued (althought I
am not a lawyer, and it's probably difficult to suing these people).
It's the same way of thinking that the Debian Project, which make a distinction
between US and Non-US for cryptographic software, if I remember.
I only hope European Parliament will finally drop this awful idea.

--
Jakob Wylleman

Free your mind, and your OS will follow.