Configure fails with gcc 3.2 under MinGW

From: Andreas Bohne
Subject: Configure fails with gcc 3.2 under MinGW
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:40:40 +0100

Hi,

I recently tried to compile GNUstep under MinGW from scratch. I closely followed the readme.mingw, but failed to configure base. configure fails with:

./configure
checking whether objc really works... no
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
If you are using gcc-3.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to play
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.
configure: error: The Objective-C compiler doesn't work or is not installed properly.

This is with gcc 3.2:
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from E:/msys/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.2/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --enable-threads --disable-nls --enable-languages=f77,c++,objc,ada --disable-win32-registry --disable-shared
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.2 (mingw special 20020817-1)

I have compiled and installed libobjc as described in the README, libobjc is in the correct location, LD_LIBRARY_PATH looks ok.
I have no libgcc_s though (do I need this?)

I tried to install from scratch several times with some modifications with no success so far. I have to say that in my previous (successfull) attempts to compile GNstep under MinGW I used gcc 2.95, so this is my first try with gcc 3.2 under Windows.

Obviously I'm missing something...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andreas