Re: Light-weight GNUstep distribution

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: Light-weight GNUstep distribution
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 22:09:58 -0600

At 11:34 AM +0100 3/8/03, Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:
A bigger problem is the fact that `back' is not
quite there yet on windows.
But on the bright side, there are no problems
with base working on windows.

This is very cool news!

Here's something I've been wondering. Has anyone written an Objective-C preprocessor and runtime that's compatible with GNUstep, but which generates ANSI C code that can be built in (say) Visual Studio or another ANSI C compiler?

I know some developers for whom dealing with gcc on Windows is a non-starter, though they'd really appreciate being able to build their applications using GNUstep on Windows and Cocoa on Mac OS X.

(Don't ask me why they won't deal with gcc on Windows. I have no idea. I do say I understand the impulse though; a lightweight preprocessor that could integrate with the tools they're used to would help.)

  -- Chris

PS - Not trying to distract people with feature-creep, just curious.