GNUstep on Linux/PA-RISC success

From: M. Grabert
Subject: GNUstep on Linux/PA-RISC success
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:34:41 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I just wanted you to let know that I successfully installed and tested
GNUstep (CVS, checkout from Feb. 19) on Debian sid GNU/Linux HP PA-RISC.

There was no problem compiling/installing GNUstep (exactly the same way
as on ix86), just when compiling core/gui it complained that mframe was
not supported on that OS and it would use generic HPPA support.

Moreover AFAIK there is no libffi nor ffcall support for Linux/PA-RISC,
so DO might not work.

I just installed and tested GNUstep on my headless HP9000/782 C240
(PA8200 in 32bit big endian mode) and the Calculator.app example
(and also the CurrencyConverter, the only apps I tested so far) worked
fine, except ...

... since the HP is headless, I used my Dell Laptop to ssh into the HP,
redirecting X11 to the Laptop. The Laptop (Pentium3) has exactly the same
version of GNUstep installed, but when starting Calculator.app an
warning/error dialog pops up telling me that NSPastebord has some problem
since some selectors don't match (sorry, just telling from my memory).
However, when clicking 'Ignore' the application runs just fine.

This reminds me of all the warning messages when compiling core/base,
where gcc-3.2 complaint quite often that some casts change the minimum
alignment requirements. I know the HP PA-RISC processor architecture has
some very strict/strange memory alignment requirement.
Could this be the reason for the incompatibililty between the selectors?

BTW, of course gdomap, gdnc and gpbs were properly started and registered
(manually and automatically worked fine)

greetings max