Re: White Screen of Death

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: White Screen of Death
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:03:17 -0700

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 06:44 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

I am trying to get GNUStep working with NetBSD (1.6, I think) on a
SparcStation LX (32-bit, 8bpp framebuffer, 96MB RAM).

The NetBSD package system was able to successfully install the libs (I
think; with a number of warnings): base, gui, back, etc. are all
installed.

When I try to run GWorkspace, however (also from the package system),
the screen turns white, except for any non-GNUStep windows (wterm, the
WindowMaker dock), after hinting at the menus, etc. being drawn.

If I try to start GWorkspace without gdnc, etc., these seem to draw
correctly, and I get an error message, but interactivity still fails (I
cannot seem to interact with any of the objects on screen; I need to go
back to the wterm and kill the GWorkspace process).

Does anyone have any clues as to what might cause this to happen, and
how I might go about diagnosing and repairing this?

Probably because you have an 8bit screen - GNUstep tries to grab all the colors it can, leaving none for any other apps. The best way to fix this is to define a standard colormap (you need to do this before you start up you window manager, so it will use the same colormap):

xstdcmap -best

for instance. You could also try to reduce the number of colors GNUstep uses, although I don't really recommend that, by setting the NSColorsPerChannel default. See

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/gui/DefaultsSummary.html