Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:49:20 -0500

On Friday, Feb 7, 2003, at 15:53 Canada/Eastern, BALATON Zoltan wrote:

I agree that if there is a more elegant way to do it we should go for
that but in this specific case I don't see a big problem. It may be a
problem for non rpm based distributions or different operating systems
however.

Okay, granted the topic refers specifically to Linux, but you've opened the field here. :)

GNUstep runs on many other systems, so why limit this to RPM? Most large projects release RPM, tar.gz, and maybe .DEB. Why not provide packages for the major types of systems, and then <shameless plug> use LSPM </shameless plug> to manage the GNUstep aspect of packages.

That way, you could also provide packages for Solaris, IRIX, the BSDs, and even *gack* Windows, if need be.

Just a thought.

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org
http://www.linuxstep.org/