Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:49:25 +0100

On 2003-02-05 11:19:04 +0100 Philippe C.D. Robert <probert@sgi.com> wrote:

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 mjr@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

There is no such thing as "distro independent RPMs."  Other projects I am
involved with have stopped providing RPMs because of all the different
incompatible RPM-based distributions.  Good luck, but I am not optimistic.

I always thought that if you do not touch system specific stuff you can use
the same RPM at least on RH, SuSE and Mandrake?

I am obviously wrong then, so what is the showstopper exactly?

One way out of this would be to provide a set of src rpms wich are built
upon installation via an installation script. But actually, this is not
what I'd call user friendly.

I am not sure if this is real, but this can be nice. GNUstep projects are
mainly bundles. What about having a small set of debs or rpms for installing
the very base system and then tar.gz-ed bundles of binaries? This can show one
of advantages of GNUstep environment: to install an app/framework/bundle, you
just drang and drop ito appropriate place and to unsinstall you just throw it
into rubbish.

Stefan