Re: RE : GSMBrowser.

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: RE : GSMBrowser.
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:57:35 +0100

> Sounds very nice and interesting ... but It is the second file browser in
> gnustep.

As long as drag-and-drop work fairly well, it's a very useful tool.

> IMO, wouldn't it better to have something like a bundle in order to use
> GSMBrowser abilities in GWorkspace ? rather than use 2 different
> applications ?

Actually, it would be nicer to have this functionality available
throughout the system, which probably means something like a fairly
standardised way of mapping new mechanisms for file access into GS base.

Preferences panels would be needed for most of these kinds of extensions,
at least to provide parameters for mapping these additional directory
trees into the hierarchy. In some cases, you might even get away with using
legacy userland tools to provide underlying transport (like in GSMBrowser
today).

Tools and applications that use native file access capabilities wouldn't
behave correctly, of course, but well-behaved GNUstep apps would experience
a fairly seamless ability to browse, open and save files in whatever storage
systems were put in place, if they used methods in NSFileHandle, NSFileManager,
and so on.

It would be very nice to be able to use the Workspace to browse to a
SMB server, as well as an arbitrary FTP server, or a CVS space or a
database-backed content management system and simply use my favourite
apps to edit in-place, or at least to view in-place. It then frees
application developers (thinking ProjectCenter for example) from having
to implement complex additional functionality (CVS) into their software,
when that functionality might be usefully used by many different apps.

But what is the best way of actually adding this kind of functionality?

Regards

Peter