Re: Some somewhat cooler thoughts...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Some somewhat cooler thoughts...
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:51:39 +0000

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 03:02  pm, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
I don't know IB well enough but according to the documentation at
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/802-2110/ 6i63kq4sk?a=view#03.Working_with_Interface_Builder-98
it supports a different (but not necessairly insufficient) way of
specifying autoresize/autolayout constraints than GS[HV]boxes used in
Renaissance. Probably it is one of the main obstacles to using Gorm to
edit Renaissance files. I wonder what are the defficiencies of the
existing mechanism supported by IB/Gorm for autolayout (implemented by
aligning unarchived objects using the specified constraints after
unarchiving) and if there was any advantages adopting this mechanism in
Renaissance. Or the other way around: what about adopting boxes in Gorm.

Boxes are simpler for a programmer creating the UI programmatically, but
the spring/rope analogy of IB might be more intuitive for visual UI
designers and more easily/cleanly representable in a graphical editor.

I think the autoresizing in IB/Gorm is very nice and simple... but it's not as powerful
as the boxes.

I assume (though haven't checked) that Renaissance already supports the standard
autoresizing masks.

IMO anything inside something other than an autoresizing box ought to be
resized using the standard mechanisms, anything inside a box should be
resized according to the rules of the box... that would be pretty straightforward really.