Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:33:02 +0100

On 2003-01-21 12:58:46 +0100 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

Shouldn't NSHelpPanel basically contain the kind of functionality helpviewer has? Writing a helpviewer app would basically be a case of putting a menu and an open panel together with a help panel ... You would use the open panel to select a file to be viewed, and that file is loaded into the help panel.

Basically I agree, since this would make it unnecessary to install an additional package just to make an app's help system available. It would also make this discussion obsolete since NSHelpManager could then also use this (more advanced) NSHelpPanel to display context help. I still don't know whether this concept of context help will really be used by any application. But I know for sure that it will not be used if it stays the way it is. It simply is not worth the programming effort for an application programmer. I like what Nicolas did and would consider it the best solution to use his panel as NSHelpPanel, but I can as well live with the current solution. I just don't provide context sensitive help :) However, I'd appreciate if a decision could be made relatively soon, especially concerning the file formats. I already started to play around with Nicolas' solution and would like to keep it (and the file format) one way or the other.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out GSburn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net