Re: Canonical Framework Makefiles?

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: Canonical Framework Makefiles?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:28:44 -0000

Marcel Weiher <marcel@metaobject.com> ha scritto:

> sorry to bring up the evil "F" topic again ;-)

No problem ! :-DD

> I am co-authoring an Objective-C book with Christian Brunschen, and we
> have decided, together with our editor, that we want it to be an
> Objective-C book, not an Apple book, which means we certainly want to
> give GNUstep fair time (see the O'Reilly Objective-C pocket reference,
> though I am not connected with that).

Good thing !!

> Currently, I am writing on frameworks, and would like to be able to
> provide a "canonical" example of a GNUstep framework makefile.  All the
> makefiles I have seen are for libraries, and I am pretty sure that my
> attempt to turn that into a working framework makefile woul yield
> something that's rather, er, sub-optimal, even if I get it to work.

GSWeb uses frameworks, so you can start from here.

> So:  what would a canonical framework GNUmakefile?  What are likely
> options?

You can find a small description of the available keywords in
make/Instance/framework.make

These are the basic options that I normally use:

FRAMEWORK_NAME = <name>

<name>_RESOURCE_FILES = resources
<name>_OBJC_FILES = your classes
<name>_HEADER_FILES = header files to be included in the framework header dir.
<name>_SUBPROJECTS = subprojects

Actually there isn't a concept of project header dir (used by the classes but
not installed) so you should add include dir in ADDITIONAL_INCLUDE_DIRS

--
Ciao
Mirko