Build Issues in gnustep-back

From: Frank D. Engel, Jr.
Subject: Build Issues in gnustep-back
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:47:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I am trying to build the GNUstep system under NetBSD 1.6 on a
SPARCstation (32-bit, big-endian, 96MB physical RAM, 8bpp fb, etc.).

I have (I think) successfully built and installed gnustep-make,
gnustep-base, and gnustep-gui; and WindowMaker is running.

The package versions for the installed GNUstep packages are:

WindowMaker-0.80.2
gnustep-make-1.4.0
gnustep-objc-1.2.2 (thread mode 'single'; I couldn't get posix threads
working)
gnustep-base-1.4.1
gnustep-gui-0.8.0

When trying to build gnustep-back-0.8.0, the individual components
(xlib, x11, gsc) seem to build OK, but then I get linker errors under
the heading "Linking bundle Libgnustep-back ..."

The errors are of the form:

x11/shared_obj/.../subproject.o(.bss+0xe0): multiple definition of
'GSScreenNumber'
gsc/shared_obj/.../subproject.o(.bss+0x0): first defined here

(there are approx. 32 of these message pairs).

After this comes the traditional 'gmake[2]........ Error 2' etc.

I can't seem to get over this hurdle in the build process.

Does anyone know how I can fix this (or even how to get objc working
with threading support enabled on NetBSD/sparc)?

FYI, I do have a working knowledge of C, though not Objective C.  My
preferred languages are Pascal and Java, and I know some things about
various other languages.  I have written simplistic Makefiles (nothing
like what comes with gnustep-make, but enough that I have a basic idea
of what is going on), and I have worked with *NIX (Linux, BSD, IRIX,
Solaris) for some time now, in addition to some experience with
Winslow, MacOS 7-9, GS/OS, BeOS, etc.

If the fix involves editing files, I just need to know what changes to
make where, and if I can understand the problem correctly, I could try
to do some of the research for it.

Thank you.

=====
=======