GNUstep and DirectFB

From: Alan West
Subject: GNUstep and DirectFB
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:07:05 +0000

Hi,

I'm new to gnustep and this list so....
About me: UK C/C++ programmer for 8 years commercially, originally ANSI C, then MFC,STL, and more recently ATL,WTL, COM, OLEDB.... I've been in search of something which enables me to develop software for different platforms easily for the past year or two, I've evaluated all sorts of libraries and technologies from cross platform windowing libs, to Mono/C#/.NET etc, Mozilla's cross platform support, and out of all this nothing has impressed me as much as the openstep/gnustep/Objective-C stuff, the Renaisance stuff looks awesome too, not sure I like the menu support though - must be a way to get the menu to work for all platforms instead of an extra Apple specific one.

I had a play with writing display server support using DirectFB (seeing as it includes window management), but got stuck at the first hurdle of including the directfb header file... its as though the Objective-C compiler doesn't expand the macros fully (macros defining DirectFB interface structs).. and fails to parse an enum with its value shift by another enum value... so.... Does anyone already know if the directfb.h file is a true ANSI C header file? Or do I have to set an option with the compiler when including this kind of header file?
Has anyone already done this?
Or any other ideas (using gcc3.2.1 on Gentoo Linux)?

Thanks
Alan