Re: SimplyGNUstep (Prometheus)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: SimplyGNUstep (Prometheus)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 23:21:04 GMT

nro@witbe.net <nro@witbe.net> wrote:
> Why ? WindowMaker is very simple to configure (with its own GUI tool for
> that), and the way it handles windows is the NeXT way..
[...]
> IWM isn't ready for daily use...

The largest single problem is that WindowMaker is currently part of GNUstep
in name only, really, not being ObjC or using any GNUstep libs.  IWM doesn't
seem that far from working, although I would be far happier making that
statement if it were better documented so new coders had an easier time
helping it.  As long as talented programmers aren't hacking IWM, it's never
going to become ready for daily use and WMaker remains the offical WM
despite not being really GNUstep beside looks.  Therefore, talented
programmers suggest hacking WMaker rather than IWM and round it all goes.
:-(
--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef@jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.