Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUstep Renaissance is out!

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNUstep Renaissance is out!
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:00:25 +0000 (GMT)

> > There's a lot more difference between .gorm and .gsmarkup (as I imagine
> > it) than an "output format". "Borrowing" code is a good idea, but I
> > think trying to squeeze both models into one app would cause nothing but
> > problems.
>
> Could you please explain what "problems" you are thinking about ? I
> consider writing some IB support for Renaissance - so if you see some
> obvious problems (I don't), please tell me before I start ;-)

If you trust my experience on the matter, I feel it's not a trivial task
and you'll soon get into lot of problems.  You'll probably find out that
Renaissance is doing everything wrong from the point of view of IB, and
that IB is doing everything wrong from the point of view of Renaissance,
so that putting them together can be a quite non-trivial task

That doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't try if you want - but I'd
recommend not to waste too much time on it :-)

My preferred route remains to modify Gorm to support .gsmarkup files, and
then port Gorm as well to Apple OSX, thus having a single open, standard,
free .gsmarkup editor which runs on all platforms, with full source code
available, using an open, standard format, and under our (open) control.

I know IB is great, but it's also closed, proprietary, designed to use a
closed proprietary conceptually-binary format and not much flexible in
that respect.  Its extensibility is limited to adding support for new
widgets, but always staying in the existing closed framework.

Anyway, if you want to try alternate routes, please keep me informed of
your progress!