Re: Unit Testing & Test-Driven Development (was Re: GSWeb state?)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Unit Testing & Test-Driven Development (was Re: GSWeb state?)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:52:02 +0000

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 06:45 pm, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 03:30  am, Chris Hanson wrote:

At 9:38 PM +0100 11/27/02, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
o It as has a lot of features so it's not completely tested (we had
recently an exemple of different  people using GSWCheckBoxList with
different bindings. Someone has fixed what it  considered as a bug so
it worked for him but no more for me so I had to rewrite some part of code to be
sure that it works for both of us)

Are the developers working on the various pieces of GNUstep creating comprehensive unit tests for the code they're writing? (I.e. by using a unit-testing framework like OCUnit from Sen:te and having all tests run every build?)

This is only in place for the base library really ... and can hardly be called 'comprehensive' as there are only a few thousand tests.
See dev-apps/test/gtests in CVS

People are of course encouraged to contribute tests, but it's no more glamorous than writing documentation ...

PS. The tests for the base library use a posix compliant regression testing package I wrote for the purpose called 'greg' This uses guile as a scripting language to execute objc methods directly so it's somewhat more dynamic and easier to write and group testcases than in OCUnit, but the basic functionality is pretty similar.