Re: Swing components with JIGS?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Swing components with JIGS?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:01:49 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to embed Swing components into
> NSWindows/NSViews with JIGS? The documentation available doesn't mention
> this one way or another, it seems.

Hi Ryan,

interesting question - I never tried doing it.

It looks pretty complex, because it's not just an ObjC/Java integration
issue, it's also a Swing/{GNUstep gui/backend [based on X Windows on
linux]} integration issue.

It might be simpler to build all the GUI with Swing (or with GNUstep) and
to use JIGS to access the other part, if you can.

If you really need integrating Swing componens into NSWindows/NSViews, I
suspect there might be quite a fair amount of work to do ... but I'd need
to know more about Swing to give a precise estimate.

If you're really interested in it, and want to start investigating it, I
can provide some help once you've got some documentation/pointers/ideas.

You would need to investigate integrating Swing components into X windows
(which is the part I don't know much about at the moment).  If you work
around doing that (or finding out how to do that), I might help with
putting the pieces together and doing the rest.

If you were just wondering if there is a ready solution to do it, the
answer is no :-)