Re: Problem with libart backend

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: Problem with libart backend
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:31:51 -0400

Circa Sat. Oct. 26, 2002 at 16:31:04 +0200, a lone cry was heard from
Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> in the wasteland called the
Internet:

> Sounds like the shared memory code is failing without noticing it.
> Which version of GNUstep is this? What system? There was a similar
> problem on some systems if a segment was marked for destruction too
> soon, but it was fixed 2002-08-23.

I am on a x86 Linux system with kernel 2.4.19. The version of GNUstep is
cvs dated today.

> Some things worth trying are (in back/Source/x11/XWindowBuffer.m):

> * line 174, change 0700 to 0777 (a potential security problem, though)

This worked.

> * line 226, remove the shmctl() call (will leak shared segments;
> remove them with ipcs or equivalent)

This doesn't work.

> As a temporary workaround, you can comment out the if
> on line 147 so the non-shm code always gets used instead.

Didn't try that since I would rather use shm on a local machine.

Charles

--
"Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX."
(By Stephan Zielinski)